Bearberry or also known as bear grape is a perennial plant that grows in the least dense forests of America, Asia and northern Europe. It is characterized by being a kind of scrub, small in size and with very green leaves. Precisely for its leaves, bearberry is considered a medicinal herb since it has various therapeutic properties, including cleansing and anti-inflammatory.
In this article we will explain the different properties and the multitude of benefits of the bearberry plant to be used as a treatment for diseases such as for our health and well-being in general.
Composition and properties of the bearberry plant
The bear grape or Arctostaphylos uva-ursi is a plant considered medicinal that is made up of a stem that is red in color and tends to come off and some pinkish-white flowers grouped in clusters. Within these flowers is the fruit of the bearberry plant, which is characterized by being fleshy, red in color and which, although it is edible, does not usually like its flavor very much.
The green leaves of this plant can be considered as the most important part of this plant since it is in them that we find most of the medicinal properties that bearberry provides . Between them:
- Astringent properties:thanks to its tannin content, polyphenolic compound produced by many plants.
- Antiseptic properties:since it also has a high content of flavonoids, which are natural pigments found in plants.
- Anti-inflammatory properties:thanks to arbutin, the most important active ingredient in bearberry.
- Diuretic properties:provided by its rich arbutide content.
- Sedative properties:for its high acid content (malic, Gallic and ursolic).
Bearberry plant benefits
Thanks to the different compounds contained in the bearberry plant and its properties mentioned above, we can find the following benefits for our health:
Effective treatment for urinary tract infections
The leaves of the bearberry plant have a chemical compound known as hydroquinones, which has a powerful antibacterial and antifungal effect that can help treat all kinds of infections. Bear grape is indicated as a very effective natural antiseptic, especially for urinary tract and prostate infections:
- Its high content of arbutin makes this plant a powerful ally to eliminate bacteria in the urine.
- Thanks to the richness of hydroquinones, the bear grape is indicated for urinary infections such as cystitis, urethritis and ureteritis.
- It is also used as a treatment for diseases of the genitals such as prostate problems in men, and vaginitis or leucorrhea in women since it has powerful bactericidal and astringent properties.
It is a natural remedy for digestive disorders
This plant is also highly recommended to combat digestive disorders such as diarrhea (even the most serious), since its leaves are high in tannins, which have excellent astringent and antidiarrheal properties.
Accelerates the process of regeneration of external wounds
Thanks to its wonderful astringent, anti-inflammatory and hemostatic properties, the bearberry plant is also used to treat externally (topical use) wounds, bruises and burns produced on the skin. In addition, thanks to the different acids that the plant contains, it has regenerative and sedative properties that accelerate the healing process, reduce possible inflammations and calm pain.
Other benefits of bear grape
In addition to the most important benefits of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi that we have discussed previously, this plant provides us with more benefits for our health:
- It has diuretic properties that help in the elimination and purification of toxins and also in the prevention of kidney stones.
- It is used for the recovery of women after childbirth as it helps to ease pain and reduce inflammation.
- Its high flavonoid content makes it ideal for reducing and whitening possible spots on the skin.
- It has decongestant properties that make it very effective in colds and bronchitis.
Bear grape contraindications
As with all products, whether natural or not, there are some contraindications of the bearberry plant that we must take into account before consuming it:
- It is not recommended to consume this plant during pregnancy or lactation.
- Nor is its use advised if you suffer from any kidney disease except a medical prescription.
- Due to the high tannin content, the adequate doses cannot be exceeded since it can cause digestive disorders such as gastritis, vomiting or discomfort in the sphincter.
- Hydroquine can be very toxic if consumed more than the permitted doses and can cause damage to the liver.