The beet is a root usually eaten in salads, with a very particular flavor and a refreshing power much appreciated especially in the summer months. You should know that this vegetable has many benefits for the health of the body, and that it is highly recommended, for example, in the case of anemia, cardiovascular diseases, high cholesterol levels, among others. Keep reading this article if you want to discover all the benefits of beets and thus take advantage of its most outstanding properties.
- The antioxidant foods are key to a healthy diet, especially for its action against the formation of free radicals in the body that are responsible for the oxidation and aging of cells and the development of several diseases, among which are cancer. Well, you should know that beets are full of antioxidants such as flavonoids and anthocyanins that help reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, especially colon cancer, and degenerative diseases.
- When you have high levels of cholesterol or triglycerides in your blood, you can find a good ally in beets to reduce them. It’s content in soluble fiber and antioxidants favor that the levels of sugar and cholesterol are kept under control, and it has also been pointed out that it has the capacity to increase good cholesterol in the body. All this protects health against cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases.
- The consumption of beets also benefits digestive health, since it contains fiber and vitamin B favors intestinal movements, making the digestion process to be carried out optimally. It is also a good natural remedy to stimulate appetite and treat constipation, a condition that can appear mainly due to a lack of fiber in the daily diet.
- Among the most outstanding benefits of beets , we find that, being very rich in iron and folic acid , it is excellent for patients suffering from anemia and, above all, for pregnant women, because a higher amount is needed during pregnancy. Iron to make hemoglobin and ensure that the necessary amount of oxygen reaches the cells. For its part, folic acid is essential to prevent congenital disorders of the fetus and that the baby is born with health problems or malformations.
- Beetroot contains a high percentage of water and has very powerful purifying properties, as it stimulates both liver, intestinal and kidney function. So, eating beets is a great option to eliminate toxins and expel the accumulated liquids and, among other things, promote weight loss and combat conditions such as fluid retention.
- In addition to all of these, other benefits of beets are those related to strengthening the immune system and skin health. It contains essential vitamins that protect the body against viruses and diseases, as well as to prevent skin inflammations and conditions such as acne, helping damaged skin tissues to repair more quickly.