Huaya is a tropical fruit that is also known by other names such as lemongrass, guayum, mamoncillo and maco among others. It originates from the most intertropical areas of America, mainly Mexico, and is characterized by having a spicy to sweet flavor. Until now, huaya was used to make jams or to eat it in syrup, but its salmon-colored pulp has become a highly valued product for its high nutritional value and its different beneficial properties for our health. Therefore, here we want to talk to you about the different healing properties of huaya fruit and its multiple benefits.
Nutritional values of huaya fruit
Huaya is a fruit that is used as a natural remedy since within its components we find a high content of the following nutritional values:
- Vitamin C:antioxidant that protects skin cells against free radicals and that activates our immune system against viruses and bacteria.
- Vitamin group B(B1, B3, B6 and B12): vitamin complex that contributes to the development of a healthy nervous system and helps the proper functioning of our metabolism.
- Proteins:amino acids necessary for growth and to protect the body from possible infections.
- Iron:important mineral that protects us from possible diseases such as anemia.
- Calcium:essential mineral for proper bone formation and necessary for blood clotting.
- Unsaturated fatty acids: theyhelp reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) levels.
Huaya fruit contains other components such as fiber and phosphorus, among other properties that make it a healthy food that must be included in our diet.
Healing properties and benefits of huaya fruit
Thanks to its nutritional components, the huaya fruit becomes a great ally for the following healing properties and its great benefits for our health.
Help our immune system
- Its high content of vitamin C makes it a good supplement to reduce the possible symptoms of a cold such as cough or general discomfort.
- It prevents infections like bronchitis and helps us to protect and eliminate viruses and bacteria from our body.
- It is also a highly recommended fruit for treating urinary tract infections.
It is ideal for a low calorie diet
- Its content in B vitamins helps us to carry out a good digestion and also to prevent constipation.
- Huaya is low in calories and also lowers bad cholesterol levels. Each serving has only 58 calories.
- The different amino acids of this fruit make it a natural remedy against possible sleep disorders such as insomnia.
- The group of B vitamins help our nervous system to function properly again, thus reducing nervousness and stress.
Other healing properties
- It has cleansing properties that fight kidney discomfort and help prevent stomach ulcers.
- It improves the quality of our skin and helps reduce acne.
- It is also used to treat infections of the gums.
- Thanks to the digestive properties of its seeds, they help treat diarrhea and other digestive disorders.
Can huaya fruit cure cancer?
Huaya fruit is also known as “the anti-cancer fruit” as there is a popular belief that this tropical fruit may be able to cure cancer. However, this belief is not true since huaya cannot cure this disease but it does help prevent it due to the following healing properties that this healthy fruit contains.
- It improves the epithelial tissue of smokers that is damaged by the chemical compounds in tobacco.
- It also protects us from other very negative effects that tobacco has, such as chronic bronchitis or possible lung cancer.
- It acts as a shield against cancer cells thanks to its diversity of nutrients.
- Huaya does not cure cancer but has a powerful effect against the spread of cancer cells, which is why it is especially recommended for cancer patients.